Friday, May 6, 2011

More Than a 140 Character Update

As always I drop by in this neighborhood to talk. Maybe vent. Not so much a tirade as I am expunging.


First off: Week One of unemployment is done. How many more weeks to go we are not in the know. It's odd because the worst thing (in my opinion) about being unemployed is not so much the lack of income as it is the feeling that now I am officially on the outside of the world again.


It's cold. It's lonely.


My friends have all of their friends and are doing whatever they're doing. People I used to chat with on Facebook aren't hanging around so much anymore. To cap it off I feel like members of the Meetup group I'm a part of have distanced themselves from me a bit so again it's just me and whatever happens in Chas World.


So I guess I should update for those of you still reading if you care to know.


First off it's been torrential rain hell over the past month reaching near-record highs, flooding the downtown areas, canceling Derby events and overall adding an amount of stress most of us can do without. But hey, this IS Thunderstorm Alley and if you're not used to it by now -thppt- on you.


To add to my level of stress in regards to this: 1) The door handle on the driver side of my car snapped off weeks ago and cannot be replaced without replacing the entire door. This equates to me having to enter my car by lifting up the back hatch and climbing/sliding inside. No, I refuse to YouTube this.


As if that weren't enough my car has been acting up for the past six months. At least $800 has went into getting new tires, dealing with engine problems, finding misfiring spark plugs, etc. I spent a few days with my uncle looking for a new car until...


Thursday. When I got fired. Actually they used the phrase “terminated” which, in the back of my head, brings the visual of an exo-skeleton of a “Terminator” out to get me. Sorry, no John Connor that I know of. Anyway they cited me for “wildly inconsistent” scorecards (method of “grading” our phone calls not brought into play until last year) which is funny because last month my average for calls was around 106. I got a $25 gift certificate to Target. To add to things they offered me a seven week severance package (which will include my 70 hours of accrued time off) so they won't get sued over the lousy excuse for dismissing me. It's easier to blame someone's grades of my calls as opposed to saying “We're going Corporate and don't need you anymore. Thanks for playing; here's your parting gift.” On the plus side of this I was one of three eliminated from my department and one of many fired within a week's time from the Company. Supposedly doing so upset my manager to the point where she took the day off.


Having spent about $122 on a room for two days in Maryville, IL I decided to go ahead and take my trip to Illinois to meet a friend of mine. My friend Andy was driving me out there and back for free and I was interested in meeting my friend while out there. The trip overall was alright and I'll discuss more about it in a future blog post.


It's been forever since I've been fired/let go/terminated/released/ “we no longer require your services” and a long while since I've done a vacation that I've been trying to sit back this week and take it easy. If you know me there is a fallacy in this statement in the fact that sitting back and relaxing is easier for me to say than do. I've went back to exercising/training. I've applied for unemployment. I've “squared away” most of my money issues for the moment (although will be catching up on bills this weekend). I -hopefully- have a coffee meetup on Sunday that will be attended. Overall I've spent maybe 4 hours over the entire week on Facebook; 30-min increments at any random point in time.


Amid the freefall chaos I've been working on my screenplay “No Love.” One one hand it's been not only cathartic but it has “saved” me in a sense because I have a singular goal to fixate on. Which may be the one thing I love about film: that “focus” on a singular goal. No continuing series just a straight story from beginning to end. More about this in a future blog.


How many proposed blog entries am I up to now? At least two more? Ain't no rest for the wicked I tell you...


So keep tuning in and I'll have more for you. There's meeting me in Saint Louis. And the trials and tribulations of dating as told through “No Love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment