We walked out of the museum and the air was thick with humidity. While Rob drove us downtown I looked out at the lake. Pete tried pointing out sailboats that were far off in the distance.
We parked off of 56th street next to an old hotel being renovated. On the search for food we rounded the corner of the building. Chain-link fencing surrounding it had pictures of what it looked like in its heyday and what it will look like when finished. “Yes, everyone will have a Prius,” Pete quips.
We cross streets and traverse blocks to wind down 53rd street and stop at a corner restaurant, an Italian place. No one is sitting outside but in seems to be fairly hopping. We’re sat at a table; Rob across from me and Pete adjacent. Rob and I split a pizza (Canadian bacon, pineapple, and ricotta cheese) while Pete orders something for himself. Ricotta cheese is alright but not preferred for pizza…
Afterwards we begin the walk back to the car but I suggest a stop inside the Borders. Pete mentions the fact that yes, we’re going to the Lit Fest on Saturday but I prodded them to go inside anyway. We all separate and walk around the store. I start looking for books I can’t find in Louisville. Eventually I catch up with Rob, then Pete, and then walk outside for a few moments.
For a moment there’s that “attack.” I can’t say it’s a “panic” attack because I’m not panicking about anything except being thrown together with Rob and Pete and I chose to hang around with them; it’s just that being around after spending the past few months alone on Isle de Chas is jarring.
Heading back to the car I’m tired. Not whooped; tired. Rob says something about checking out Promontory Point to see where he had some pics taken of himself. “I’ve seen it during the wintertime but not the summer. Kinda want to see what it’s like without the ice and snow.” I agree to come along and the three of us walk under a bridge and to the point. Heading to the left side I spot a circular stone bench and sit for a moment. A group of people to our left talk and hang out. Rob comes over and talks with me while Pete walks down to the end of the rocks. I look over at the coast and the Chicago skyline. After a few Pete comes back and we walk to the other side.
It’s on the other side that no one is around, or no one seems to be anyway. Giant square rock slabs sit slightly uneven but in rows like amphitheater seating. I forge ahead and down to the row closest to the water, drop my camera bag to the side, and sit. And stare into the water. I can look out eight feet and see to the bottom. The sun gives the rocks below a yellowed look and I watch the seaweed wave back and forth while the water crashes against the rocks under me. I ask Rob about the rusted rail under me and Rob says that it was there to hold back the rocks. I continue looking into the water and for those few moments in time everything faded away; washed out to the sea. Time spent purging the pollution inside me…
It neared 3 o’clock and time for us to be on the road again. We go back to the car for the l-o-n-g ride back to Rob’s place. While he navigates I’m DJ again, going through whatever’s on my Zune. Pete sits in the back. After spending too long on the main highway Rob decides to travel the side streets going through the seedier parts of Chicago neighborhoods. Pete points out the “penthouse suites” of motels, special rooms on the roofs of motels that shouldn’t really have them. I fall to sleep for about ten minutes. When I wake up Pete’s asleep and I talk with Rob.
We drive through Cicero (where Al Capone used to keep his headquarters at a hotel now long since burnt down) and a few more places before Rob gets out his cellphone and talks with Vicky. We all decide to have turkey burgers and sausages for dinner and I mention to Rob that I want to stop off at the store for a few things. Rob gets a list of items from Vicky and we’re on our way to…
The Super Target. I’ve heard of Super Wal-Marts but not Super Target, which is the same concept except better quality (I think). Rob proposes a “surgical strike”: we go in, stay close to him, only get what we mention, and get it. Good enough. He picks up green beans and some wheat buns while I get a pack of Sierra Nevada, a box of tea, and some strawberry cream cheese. We were probably in and out within fifteen minutes or less.
Back at his place. Had dinner and discussed our plans for the next day: going to the Lit Fest. We would take the train in, go to the Fest, then check out some Blues. Vicky planned to meet up with a friend of hers and do lunch.
Pete sat in the kitchen and cued up NPR on his laptop and we listened for a bit while Rob, Vicky, and I unwound in the living room. I grabbed my laptop and found a site that streamed episodes of “The IT Crowd” and had Rob and Vicky watch. Pete eventually walked in and watched it with us. After, Pete, Rob and I went to a little bar about ten minutes away from Rob’s place.
The bar was okay –kinda sedate for its location. It had that feel of “let’s convert a room into a bar” feel and was nice, well-kept, and had that family-restaurant feel with minimal props or decorations. The female waitresses were attractive and one had long pink/magenta hair that ran down her back. Pete discussed politics for the most part, Rob bantered with him, and I reasserted the position that most people don’t care. I had two drinks, was buzzing pretty well, and we went back to Rob’s place.
No comments:
Post a Comment