Sunday, September 5, 2010

Beautiful Day

Saturday morning and I have to be up and gone -stuff to do. On Bardstown Rd. heading to Kroger I gaze ahead at the mile or so of road, vehicles, businesses, telephone poles; the entire panorama. And it's beautiful. Crystal-clear azure sky with rows and rows of separate clouds that feels like a quilt covering over the world. Temperature is in the low 70s with a small bit of wind blowing. It's the perfect day.

Walking up to the main entrance of Krogers an older woman, medium build with white hair wearing a muted-yellow t-shirt and blue jeans, is pushing her cart loaded down with groceries. Moving along slowly she accidentally trips on her own foot. The cart topples over and spills the goods into the fire lane. A black woman rushes over from the right while the woman off to the left, selling Louisville and Kentucky t-shirts because of the Big Game, rushes over with a chair. The woman sits in the chair and nurses her foot.
“Are you alright?”
The woman looks up. “Yeah... I just don't know how I'm going to get home.”
“Is there anyone you can call?”
I walk over and get some of the groceries out of the cart before righting it on the pavement. I start putting them items back in.
“The manager's been called and he'll be out to help you in a moment.”
The black woman thanked me and seeing there was nothing else I could do, I went inside to pick up the money my mom had wired to me.

I stop over at Scott and Sandy's house to talk for a bit. My friend Dean calls me on the cellphone and I banter with him for a few moments. As I walk up to the house Scott rushes out.
“Hi. Bye.”
He jumps in his car, a Volvo station wagon, and turns the ignition. Nothing.
“I think I'm gonna need a jump. Good thing you came by when you did...”
I pull my car beside his, the front end butting up against the side of his and we jumped it. First time it didn't work. He gets out and grabs a wrench, tapping the battery's connector. Second time around it cranked right up.
“I'm gonna let this run for at least five minutes. Cut it out then crank it again.”
We go inside and I hang out there for a few. Scott has me give him a ride over to where Sabrina is hanging out/staying for the weekend (their oldest daughter). Due to my brother having removed the passenger seat a while back Scott sits on the floorboard.
“I feel ass scraping against gravel.”
We return to his house a short time later and I'm killing time (“that won't stand still...”) before going out to see a movie with Lisa. I meet the single parent of one of Brandon's friends (Scott and Sandy's youngest). She teaches English at Southern and I talk with her about books and writing.

I make it to RAVE Cinemas (formerly Stonybrook) by 4:20 and wait for Lisa who shows at exactly 4:30. We get our tickets for the movie and talk about it while waiting in the concessions line. I pay five dollars for a bottle of water. Five. I'm slightly teed about that...
The movie: “Machete.” Robert Rodriguez's feature-length movie based on the fake-trailer he did for the “Grindhouse” movie with Tarantino. Overall, a fun flick. I laughed at a few things Lisa probably didn't get and was slightly concerned that the first movie I see with her has excessive violence, nudity, and shit blowing up.
She loved it, except for the first five minutes. “I was like... is this for real?” Once she got past that he really enjoyed it.
“I won't forgive you for making me see Lindsay Lohan's boobs!”
Okay, the other complaint. She didn't have a problem with any other nudity except for hers. Fair enough.
We decide to eat at Old Chicago and split their “Chicago Seven” pizza. We talk about ourselves, where we're from, family, etc. After I suggest we go get some coffee so we drive over to the Borders and get some from Seattle's Best, sitting outside and talking longer. She wants to go back to the Palace, to watch movies at my place, and even workout with me.
Six hours. We stood in the Borders parking lot until 10:30pm talking. We both enjoyed the other's company and plan to sit and have coffee this afternoon. She's nice, sweet, pleasant, cute and fun to be around.
I called and talked with my mom about her, saying that I dated “outside the box.” “She's not shallow, bitchy, or...” I forgot what. Damned if I got little sleep 'cause I couldn't stop thinking about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment