Monday, September 6, 2010

Nerdicize, or Could I Bench-press Bangor?

(previously unposted – dated late August 2010)

“It was a Monday, just like any other day…”

Sitting here and the world is safe for Democracy. Or maybe the crazies of the world have settled down for the moment which gives me ample time to broadcast my week to my readership.

The good, bad, and fugly of it all…

Was hugely busy for most of the week. Did laundry, made dinner, virus-scanned computer and watched “Green Zone” all at once. Who said Windows was the only thing you can use to multi-task? That’s how it goes for me –shuffling forth and back doing about four things at once in my apartment. It’s about how anything gets done in the place.

Speaking of getting things done I finally did my Federal taxes. I had been putting them off for a while because I just wasn’t in the frame of mind to concentrate on them. Want my opinion on a book? Fine, not a problem. Need me to balance my checkbook? Whoah, buddy. Ground Control to Major Debt…

But that checks off another thing on my giant To Do list so I can get out from underneath everything. Still need to find a new car. And a new apartment. And new clothes. In fact, can I just trade in everything I got now for new crap? I think there’s a story somewhere in there…

Went on a photoshoot with the SmugMug group. I’m now a member of both photography groups in town. Wednesday night I plowed my car through intermittent rain and met with the group in front of the Jimmy John’s on the corner of Baxter and Highland Ave. Some there were seasoned professionals/hobbyists. One guy opened his backpack and had a kit of supplies along with actual pull-film for a camera nearly 60 years old. The main person putting on the event, Missy, is an older, blond woman who was taking pics using a monopod. There was the guy whose company is Dresden photography –he works for the VA hospital on most days and saves up for two weeks in a year and travels and does photography then. I also ran into Sarah, a part-time wedding photographer who works in a boutique as well as another guy whom I had met months before at the other photography group who said he really liked my film work.

During the photoshoot we walked up Baxter Ave. to the church and took some pics of it. We then turned around and walked back to Flannigan’s Ale House and had drinks/dinner. Along the way we met a biker who allowed us to take pics of him on his bike. After everyone left Flannigan’s we returned to the Walgreen’s parking lot but not before stopping to take pics of a Lamborghini outside the Starbuck’s Coffee shop.

So I’ve returned to the wonderful world of exercising. I “invented” my own routine in my living room and it works fairly well. After reaching up and down for 5 mins I walk to my bookcase and grab 2 hardback Stephen King novels (“The Stand” and “Wizard and Glass”) and use them as weights. Hey, if you have no room for a weight-training set, hardbacked Stephen King novels wouldn’t be your worst choice (Dan Brown…. questionable). I’m going to increase the apartment exercises each week by 5 mins and see what happens. Maybe I’ll get to bench-press Bangor, Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment