Monday, September 6, 2010

Grab the Fedora and Bullwhip

Yesterday I had the second date with Lisa. On Sundays I usually go to a coffeeshop on Frankfort Ave. to get away from West Buechel livin’. Saturday night I invited Lisa (“I just go up there and work on writing”) and she said she would come along.

About 3:30 I’m on the phone with Ronald, a mutual friend, when she calls in. She’s gonna be a little late but will be there. Cool. Not a problem. By 4 I get off the phone with Ronald and get ready to go, being out the door within 10 minutes.

I make it to the coffeeshop by 4:30, get an iced mocha, and take a table outside. Lisa arrives within 15 minutes, walks in and gets a drink, and comes to sit at the table with me. I had barely made it through a paragraph of review of “Machete” and decided to show her some of my photography of being around the country. She asks if I went alone. “Yes,” I reply. She tells me she couldn’t do it. I didn’t have much of a choice but I don’t let on that yes, it can be scary as hell. But I do have an affinity for the open road…

And sometimes I look into her eyes. There’s a cool, beautiful soul of honesty and simplicity in a sea of blue. I don’t know what to say and I’m probably seeming nervous, something she asks me about later. I reply that I have “nerd disease” (consult your local physician) and try to relay the fact that my emotional response sometimes has a lag time anywhere between a second to longer. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

So I finish my coffee and we go walking around. She tells me that she used to grow up in the Crescent Hill area a while back before living in J’town. We keep bumping and rubbing up against another and I reach over and take her hand in mine. We stroll down a few of the side streets and walk up to the circular court of a prominent historical mansion. I walk around it but she gets bored and calls me back. I tell her that sometimes she’ll have to do that.

Returning to Frankfort Ave. we walk over to the Clifton Center. She says that she stopped there once before because her niece had a recital there. We pick the first wooden bench seat and sit close to each other. I touch her arm and she turns and looks at me. We kiss. She immediately pops up and wants to find a place to eat. I’m still sitting there but rise up and walk with her to the main street.

I point out Clifton’s Pizza. She’s also interested in sushi. I suggest a place down the road called the North End Café. She agrees and we walk.

After the fact, I swore she would kill me.

I didn’t have a pedometer on me BUT in hindsight I’m fairly certain we walked at least 3 miles roundabout. She had on a pair of flats that were killing her. I kept looking ahead and saying “just a few more minutes” but didn’t realize how far away the place really was. She would say “Thank God I didn’t wear my wedges today” and I nodded. Once or twice I offered for us to turn around but we were on our way there so…

We finally get into the café and sit at a booth. I feel bad for making her walk the whole distance and know that she’s feeling it. She orders ravioli with goat cheese and I order a Caesar salad. We sit and talk some more.

She sets the next date: watching movies at my place. I just have to provide what I already have –TV, disc player, surround- and order pizza. Fair enough. We plan for Thursday night.

Walking back I notice a few more things I want to take pics of in the area. She gets a clearer view of a fashion store with vintage clothing and wants to come back. We walk to her car and talk for another moment. We kiss three times before she tells me to “Go home.” I walk back to my car and head to my apartment.

Back on the West Buechel side I get to my apartment and turn around. I need to work on my review of “Machete.” I get out of the car and Lisa calls me. She’s alright and doesn’t want me to feel bad about her feet hurting. I do anyway but it was nice of her to call. I tell her that I have to work on submitting my review but I would be home after. She tells me that she had a weird dream about me –the LAS group we’re a part of had a meeting, two other friends were there, etc. I thought I might have an idea at what it meant but I really don’t. I say that I’ll catch up with her later and go inside.

One of the barristas gets me a free coffee and I work on the review some. I get back to my place then go downstairs and talk with Bob, resident apartment guru. We talk until 11:30 whereby I walk back up to my place and call my friend Pete. He calls me back and we catch up.

I go to sleep at some point after 1am which is usual for me. I had already e-mailed my review to Daniel and took a bath. And I SLEPT.

I woke up this morning and the world was fine. No worries. No concerns. Nothing bothering me. Traffic is lite because it’s a holiday. I think she’s thinking about me and I feel good. Out the door and off to work…

No comments:

Post a Comment