Saturday afternoon and I was in for the long haul –battling Christmas shopping traffic, buying stuff for my nephews, and shipping it all off. After picking up the plush Mario and Yoshi for my nephews I went over to Henie Bros. and reaching into my pocket found I pulled out my cellphone and saw that my sister had called. Walking out to the car, mocha in hand, I return the call.
She reminds me that my brother Justen is heading down to Georgia on Sunday and that if I could meet up with him he would take my present for her and the dolls for Bert and Baby Cam. I tell her that I would need to hear from him and she tells me that she’s working on it. About 15 minutes of deliberation returns to that point: was I going to go ahead and ship it USPS or send it with Justen? Round and round what goes around comes around (ha) and I tell her that she’s gotta get in contact with Justen. Meanwhile I need to go get my car looked at.
Drove back to my Buechel stomping grounds or, at least, the Hikes Point area. Pulling into Scott and Sandy’s driveway their entire lot is ICED over – I found myself skating in my shoes. Sandy, Scott, and his mom walked out the front door and said “Hi. We’re leaving.” I slowly turned to return to my car and got in and managed to pull out of the driveway but not without patches of being “stuck.”
I had to make a decision: drive to the J’Town area to Brakeway and have my car looked at or take it over to Goodyear and have them look at it. The plus side about Goodyear is that it’s in the Gardiner Lane plaza which has access to a Buckhead’s, Borders, and the Heine Bros. I used to frequent. Gardiner Lane it was…
Dropped my car off around 1:30pm to the Goodyear. Book in hand (“Zen and the Art of Making a Living”) I walked down to the Heine Bros. coffeeshop, got a mocha, and picked a seat by the window. I tried getting into the book, concentrating on what I was reading, but there were two things nagging me: the hot blond chick on the opposite side of the area I was in trading glances at me, and my “spidey-sense” gave me the feeling that at any moment in time Jennifer was going to show up.
The hot blond chick (Amber) asked me to watch her stuff while she went into the restroom. Easy enough. She came back, thanked me, and returned to studying what I would later find out was for her CPA. I returned to my book and a feeling of calm for a few moments before looking out the window.
Jennifer. Back turned to me with her brown wool longcoat, smoking a cigarette. I found myself watching a play unfold like a movie on a TV set that’s set on “mute.” One girl, whom I didn’t recognize, started walking up to the coffeeshop then stopped, returned to her car and got in, presumably cranking the engine. She backed out of her space and turned left to circle toward the patio where Jennifer was standing. A moment later a RAV4, presumably driven by Caroline (a member of the writing group) pulled up beside Jennifer. The window rolled down and Dave (lying rat-weasel bastard, aka head of the writing group) stuck his head out and they were talking. The RAV4 then drove over to the bakery on the opposite side of the street and parked. Jennifer walked to the end of the sidewalk, finished her cigarette, and then got into the car the other girl (the one who I didn’t recognize) and they drove over to the bakery.
I just shook my head. I went to the restroom and came back, striking up a conversation with Amber. She works for an accounting office, owns a condo, and doesn’t watch TV or movies. Her hair is a kind of dirty blond, white teeth, and may be in her twenties.
And it’s also one of the few times talking with a chick probably saved me. Not long after I started talking with her, we were discussing the book I was reading, John entered the coffeeshop. This time around he had a beard squaring the perimeter of his face. I didn’t see him until I glanced his direction, he gave me a mean look, then beelined to the bathroom. Five minutes later he rushed out of the bathroom hallway faster than he went in. I found my body shaking while I was talking with Amber; maybe it was the anticipation of what could’ve happened. I got her name and digits and since she was busy studying I went back to my table and grabbed my book to leave.
And so what do we garner from this? Was Jennifer upset I was there? I would imagine so. Did she have to go through the DRAMA and SPECTACLE of avoiding me? No, because there were a total of five people compared to the one of me. I don’t hate Dave –he’s not a leader, just a follower who built a following of friends to make himself feel better about his lack of discernable talent. Caroline is a person who is talented and has a good heart but like Tony Stark there’s poison coursing toward it (ergo, Jennifer). John’s only talent is being a 5’8” stack of shit with a smarmy presentation package; why women dig him I don’t know. What Jennifer saw in him baffles me. Why I was his friend was because I didn’t have a lot of other friendship options and we were going to form a business. Oh well.
As for Jennifer… she can sit and stew in her own. Play petty games, cry “Wolf!” and exacerbate whatever drama she needs to. Some women are truly class and style; some women are thirteen-year-old angst-ridden chicks with nothing better to do than find the largest stones possible to throw around in their glass houses. In the words of Cee-Lo, “I say it from my chest that I wish you the best and FUCK YOU.”
No comments:
Post a Comment