Action? Adventure? Chas thrives on these things.
8pm and my uncle Roy and I finally returned to the apartment from a day spent dropping off presents, getting me a cellphone, trying out an Indian restaurant, fixing my bookcase and doing laundry. Call it a hurricane of activity.
I decide that by 9pm I'm going up to the Heine Bros. coffeeshop to do some reading. When I get up there who happens to be there but Molly, a girl I met a few weeks back who worked up there. She fell in love with the fact that we have a lot of the same tastes in music and gave me her e-mail address which I mailed and she didn't reply back to. So, I figured that was that and I didn't know if I would see her again. And there she was, wearing her black mini-skirt and high-heeled boots. I ordered a tea and she walked up to the counter and talked with me for a bit before I went back to my table and sat to read “The Big Sleep” by Raymond Chandler.
A few minutes before close I got back up to talk with her; ask a few questions. She asked if I wanted to go out for a beer and I'm like “Sure.” She invited me to stay after close until she could leave.
If there's anything to note about the “conservative” area of town is that they love their sleep and there's nil chance that a bar is open on a Sunday night after 10pm. And that's understandable but not convenient. She and her co-worker leave by 10:42 and Molly and I walk down to Indigo Joe's, a sports bar. They closed at 10. I offered for her to come over to my place and she agreed.
In the back of my mind I'm really apprehensive about this. Working for 3 years for a service that deals with the bad outcomes of society... erring on the side of caution, here.
So we're back at my place in Roy is in bed sleeping. I close his door and we sit in the living room talking about our lives and listening to music. The first song I played for her was “English Girls Approximately,” by Ryan Adams. As minutes wear on I get more tired and she starts noticing. She goes through her hair a few times and I do everything not to kiss her or touch her because I'm trying to do that right thing (but is it ever really?)
By 12:30am she needs to go and I walk her out to her car. We agree that we want to spend more time around each other but she can't give me a schedule. She does give me her number which is the first to go into my new phone. I walk back to my place but stop over to my car to get my book out. She drives off, waving.
Stay tuned...
No comments:
Post a Comment