Tuesday, December 21, 2010

That IS The Droid I'm Looking For

My cellphone, like a lot of other things in my life, is just about dead. With technology, glasses, and just about any other product made since the last half of the twentieth century the shelf-life has became three years. As of now if my cellphone does not get charged on a nightly basis the “low battery” indicator will continuously blink. Having the phone since November 2007 it was about time to trade-up.


Enter Best Buy, home for tech geeks like me. I'm pretty sure that I've spent enough there to put something though junior college at the very least with having bought my laptop, most of my movies (Blu ray and DVD), and music from there. Seeing as they were having a sale on “smart phones” I wanted to jump the T-mobile ship and go over to Verizon. After dropping off my sister's Christmas presents to my brother (working in a church off of Southside) we went into the lion's den: the shopping mall area on Outer Loop.


For those who don't know there are two bad times of year when it comes to driving on Outer Loop and trying to get into the mall area. One is Christmas and the other is Valentine's Day. To it's credit it took us only twenty minutes to get through the traffic and into the Best Buy lot. My uncle and I walked in and I went to peruse phones while he wandered other where.


No T-mobile. Not necessarily a bad thing but I didn't know if my credit check would go through. When I asked a rep about this he commented, “They won't let us have more than three vendors at any location. We have ATT, Spring, and Verizon.” I probably passed around the phone I was eying at least 4 times before a salesrep approached me and I questioned him about it. A rep named Doug decided to wait on me and we went to a computer in the less-habitated area of the store which was located next to computer monitors and networking equipment.


My credit passed. Did I want the responsibility of a $600 phone? Did I want to add $30 per month to my cellphone bill? Fuck it; I wanted the cellphone. I signed my name on the dotted line, bought a scratch-proof cover, and left the store. While Roy drove I played around with it.


BTW, it's an HTC Incredible. Touch screen, video/camera, etc. Yeah buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment