Sunday, January 2, 2011

Not To Be That Guy But I Am That Guy

When I was growing up I always found the lives of others fascinating. I was friends with a guy who went on two tours in Vietnam and after returning was a janitor. Another friend of mine was a native Cherokee Indian. When in Cali I got to know a guy whose face could've rivaled a rockcliff and who had seemingly “been there, done that.” I've always found these people intriguing but I swore I would never be them.


Too late. I already became one.


Not that it's a bad thing. Some part of me still wants that success. I'm not deluding myself with the idea of endless parties and money flowing like water -I would just like something in that suburb. The older I get the farther away from that I seem to find myself.


Case in point: Tuesday night I went to trivia at Molly Malone's off Shelbyville Rd. Incidentally I ran into an old high school friend of mine and I joined him team. We won the $25 gift certificate.


But I digress. I was catching him up on the past 8 years of my life which included my trip to California, then to Georgia, then back to Louisville. I had worked for Ban Dai, been a radio show programmer, sat and listened to Wes Craven, met Ray Bradbury and Dean Koontz, and even visited Roswell, NM. And in a moment I had the realization:


I had became that guy. The one who bounces everywhere. The one with adventures.


And maybe it's part of that I feel so conflicted about. I find myself torn in this techno-society with my laptop, camera, smartphone, Blu ray player, etc. I'm a slave to all the tech geeky crud in my apartment. On the other end I enjoy my privacy, my freedom, my ability to go wherever I want and do whatever I want, my lack of interest in most network TV. I think for myself and try to live life without having to consult eHow or Wiki for instructions (although I'm still bad at tying a tie).


I'm not living in a shack or writing a manifest on my theories on life. I'm just riding the fine line between living life and experiencing the world and a lot of the time I feel alone on this journey. Then again, it may have always been this way.


And I'm still thinking of the Neverending Highway. The open road, the people I meet, the places I go, wherever I sleep (preferably Days Inn because they have pools). I just think I need another adventure...

1 comment:

  1. I envy those of you who can be adventurous. Relish it.

    ReplyDelete